Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Holidays

To me, Christmas really is the best time of the year. It's full of silly traditions, when I reflect on it. Getting a tree, decorating it and leaving it in the house for over a month seems a bit ridiculous when it gets broken down like that. But, we do it, year in and year out. Humans are starved for tradition and for reminders of the past. I love Christmas because it fills my heart and soul with memories from a simpler time. A time when Rudi (Sr) would take us out to the bush in his work truck and we would hunt for two trees. One tree was for our household and the other would be for Grandma and Grandpa. Mom and Rudi would swear and argue about getting the tree into the house and then into that damn, difficult tree stand we always used and never replaced. We never decorated the first night, but mom would always put the lights up without help and she took forever and did a bang up job, every year. So each year, as an adult we hold onto old traditions and create new ones. The one tradition I carry with me is to make a nauseating amount of crab dip throughout the whole Christmas season. I started on Friday, December 21st and plan on making my last batch today. I love Christmas so much, that I actually get sad on Christmas Eve because I know that Christmas and all the lead up will be over by Christmas evening. I am already sad that Christmas will be over, before it has even truly begun.

 I always find that December 27th is the toughest day. The 26th still feels like a holiday, because a lot of places are still closed. The malls are filled with people searching for deals and the overall feeling is still festive. But December 27th is the day after Boxing Day and two after the Big Day. I still feel like I'm in lazy mode but know I should be at the grocery store stocking the fridge with healthy choices again. I know I should be buying more milk because I'm nearly out again. I know all of this, yet I can't get my festive, slightly bummed ass off of the couch and away from Netflix. Rob and I discovered a new show called "You" and we can't stop watching it. Thank goodness, because I really need an excuse to stay in my pajamas and to have those left over cabbage rolls from Christmas, for our lunch again today. The overall feeling I get from today is morose, but I do cheer up at the thought that I still have a lot of time off this year. That, I could never write negatively about. Time off is amazing and a true gift after how busy we've been since returning to work in September. I imagine I'll continue to be lazy, drink too early and eat poorly until New Years, although I know I shouldn't. Once we ring in the new year; I'll have to get off of this couch during the day and start my workout regime once again. I'll have to start getting back into the idea of work and planning up new circle time ideas and fun crafts for the little ones. But, until then... I think I'll continue to put Bailey's in my coffee and I'll eat chips before noon.. Until then, I'll embrace this lovely, lazy, excuse to not adult we all know and love as 'the holidays'.. 








.

No comments: