Friday, August 18, 2006

Flying Forward

Here I am. I am a long way from home that's for sure. We traveled across Canada the other night on a midnight flight. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined. At the same time, it felt very exhausting getting off of our four hour flight into Toronto. I think the time difference of three hours really does something to the average person as well. We lost three hours mid flight. So to us, it was 2:30 am and the sun was just starting to come up beside us. That is so fascinating. Rob said, "Look baby, we're flying into the future."

Rob and I did fairly well for our first flying trip. We only argued once because we were both very tired, and hungry and thirsty.. Because of all that has happened recently, bottled water and drinks are banned from airplanes and airports. So when a water is ordered anywhere, (which it HAS to be because the vending machines are all closed) a person is over charged and the water has to be poured into a cup. It feels like prison. We were all in our closed off smoking area in the airport and everyone is looking for a light because their lighters all got taken away by customs. we have to look for the man in uniform if we want a light. (pilots, airport staff) We all sit together and exchange war stories.
"I lost my lighter at customs..had to throw it right in the garbage."
"Oh yeah, well they said I could bring my lip balm, and it turns out I had the wrong kind.. not in a tube, but in a little container..and pfff that was the end of that."

We arrived in T.Bay at 7:00 B.C time, 10:00 O.N time. We were ridiculously exhausted from the flight but that didn't stop us. We visited a few of Rob's friends that weren't working and started to drink. But as the night went on, we came to find that we were just too out of it, to even be able to get drunk enough where we could have a crazy, woopin' good time. So we played it low key and were in bed by 12:30 (9:30 our time..hehe)

The weather is a whole different story. It is so humid here I feel like I'm in Louisiana again. I have not felt heat like that. It was only 29 and it felt like 35+. Apparently it is supposed to go up to 46 in the next week. Ahh I can't even imagine what that's like. (I'm talking celcius b.t.w..for those american fans I have..) This morning felt like a real summer vacation morning. I don't even think that that makes sense, but it just felt like I was truly on vacation, because that kind of heat is so welcoming and awesome early on in the day.

I met all of Bob's close guy friends.. el quadro...as I am told together they are all called. I have to force myself to be the tourist and take loads of pictures so we can make a vacation album together. I have some pictures but I'm at a different computer, and doing all of that just might be too much work for me today.

I am happy to be here, learning more and more about my boy each day..

4 comments:

Whisky said...

Wooohooo! Travelling into the future, if only we could!

I'm glad your trip went ok...but bummer about the ciggy lights and the lip balm :(

I hope the rest of your trip goes better....chill out and take loads of pictures for us all to see on your safe return.

Hugs as always

Whisky

xxxx

kristen said...

Toronto is SO fun. I've loved spending time there and found the shopping to be great. Enjoy your fun vacation, tourista!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

hollibobolli said...

I'm so glad things are going well..it seems like they just keep getting better and better - as it should be!!

Um - they confiscated lip balm!! Thanks for the warning. Good grief. My entire purse would be thrown in the trash. I must prepare for our next flight. No lip balm. That's like taking my hair!