Monday, April 21, 2014

I KNOW I Can

 So it's time to announce my 'big news' that I mentioned earlier last week. I am currently working as a pharmacy assistant in a quaint, little pharmacy downtown. The company that I work for focuses on the clientele rather than the products that we sell. Our front store is small and simple and I really like it that way. We're always telling people that the difference between our pharmacy and any of the larger ones is that we take pride in knowing all of our customers.  My role as a pharmacy assistant is to basically be the pharmacist's assistant. Personally, since my return my position ranges from taking out the garbages to closing till procedures to filling and counting prescriptions to booking appointments and answering phone calls. I fax doctors and direct customers to either the product that they're looking for or I encourage them to talk to the pharmacist to find the right product for them. It's a good job. I love my hours; Monday to Friday 9-5. I walk to work every day and I live in a really peaceful, gorgeous community. I have little to complain about.

  The pharmacy technician bridging program has been offered for the last few years. It is offered to currently in practice pharmacy assistants with 2000 working hours. I was not interested when it was first introduced. I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself, still knowing that I really wanted to start a family with Rob sooner than later. I also wasn't totally sure if the schooling would really be worth my while financially. I was also scared. Afraid that if I went for it, I would fail. Or hesitant to look into it because I felt like even the research of it was over my head. Well, it turns out now that I'm back, I know what I want. I want to further my education for the first time in my life...

 So- I had to register with the College of Pharmacists of British Columbia early in April. I registered for classes and I start in the early fall...! Eeeeeeeeek. I swear, the moment I received the confirmation e-mail that I would be starting in the fall, I felt like I could let out a huge sigh of relief and throw up all at once. The bridging program is only being offered until December 31, 2015. Which means, I have to complete and pass four modules over the next year and a half. (I won't have the time to complete each module in each semester. So I'm starting by taking two modules in one semester.. yikes!) Each semester is about three months and ends with a final exam. The courses I'm taking are all online. So I will be able to work full time and do my school work at night and on the weekends. I have to take an Evaluating Exam, a Qualifying Exam and a Jurisprudence Exam all of which are held only twice a year in the province. So I want to make sure that I have as much schooling under my belt before I take any of those exams.. This is literally my one and only chance to become certified with the bridging program and every last moment counts. I have to make sure to register for all of my courses in time, the finals within the registration deadlines and I absolutely must pass everything the first time around. No pressure....!


 It's not going to be easy. But, it shouldn't be. It's school! I'm nervous because I've never taken any other education besides high school and I'm afraid that I won't 'have it in me' to succeed. But at the same time I'm really excited that I'm finally doing something for me! Rob is going to have to sacrifice for me to be in school and for me to better my career. It feels really good. I want to push myself the hardest I've ever been pushed so that I can show Rob, my mom, my siblings and friends and other family members that I am smart enough to do this. I don't think I can.. ya wussy train- I know I can!

 So wish me luck! I begin in September and when that times comes we'll see how much blogging I can do.. Until then, I'll just keep enjoying my time and I'll be mentally preparing for a very busy time ahead!

If you could go back to school (for the first time OR again) what would you go to school for?! 

10 comments:

Brianna said...

That's so exciting, girl! I'm so happy for you...and PROUD of you! That's a huge step and it's so great that you're doing it for yourself :). You're gonna rock it!

Amanda said...

This is super exciting! So what will your title be when you finish? You'll rock it though I'm sure!!! X

Unknown said...

OMG that's so exciting!!! You can absolutely do this and we don't mind if we get pushed back a little further as long as we get TONS of posts for the time being ;)
I'm so excited for you! Good for you for recognizing that you want to further yourself and your little family. xoxo

Rachel said...

So you'll be a pharmacy technician when this schooling is done? Or what's the proper term? That's pretty exciting! And I'm sure it won't be easy but it sounds like you have just barely enough time to complete the program before they change things! If I had the time, money, and opportunity...I would probably go back to school and get my master's and PhD in linguistics and become a professor. How's that for nerdy?

La Maman Heureuse said...

Wow, Haley, that's super good news! So exciting! It's an amazing opportunity you get and you can totally do this, we believe in you! Even if it means less posts :-)

And yes, it will be tough for a while (I only did it for 6 months and so happy when it was over), but it's such a good thing happening to you! You deserve this, I'm so proud of you! Cheering you on all the way!

And if I could do it all over again, I would want to be a speech therapist, a midwife or a teacher. Somewhere I can work with people and kids and make a difference!

The Babbling Box said...

That is such awesome news! Congratulations. I did my teaching certification online and found it so much better than traditional college classes. Something about having the control to do classes when it fits in your schedule I really enjoyed. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and good luck with your schooling! I went straight to post secondary after high school and instantly regret it after wasting my time and (mom's) money studying something I didn't want. When I decided to focus on my education, I studied HR and buckled down instantly. Studying a field you actually enjoy makes it 10x more enjoyable and successful!

Jade Wright said...

WOW!! I am SO excited for you Haley!!!!!! I wish you the absolute best of luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you 100%!!!!

Aim high - ambition makes life so facsinating and as wonderful as it is!

Well, I am still studying journalism. I have four more assignments to do before I get my degree - then I really would love to study either photography or cooking... both! But which one first!? :)

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

Happy Fit said...

Haley that's great news! Congrats, you're going to have so much fun. It's always a good time working hard learning about things that interest you, and it sounds like you've made a strong decision about this, so have no fear - you'll do just great.

As for going back to school, hmm, I am basically a perma-student, so perhaps it's time for me to learn how to be a good worker? I'm always super interested in health and fitness-related stuff so advanced Yoga Teacher Training will likely be my next venture.

Congrats again!

Heather @ The Maritime Reader said...

Congratulations Haley!! Good for you! I'm sure you will find it busy, but very rewarding too!! I had a feeling your news was something about your career ;)

If I could do it over again, I probably wouldn't have done the Masters program that I took. It just doesn't seem to jive well with a lot of the Nova Scotia job opportunities...it's more recognized in the US and larger Canadian cities... but no regrets, right? haha ;)

Best of luck with the studies and can't wait to hear how it all goes!!! xo